Wednesday, February 23, 2011

MG Sazabi 1st WIP


To my surprise, I received this rather large kit from my girlfriend on Valentine's Day. She got a diamond, I got a giant red Sazabi; seems like a pretty fair deal to me! So yeah, this is going to be my next project. Continuing the painting trend set forth by Deathscythe, I'm planning on airbrushing the whole kit in some custom colors. This will be my first time using an airbrush (I don't even have it yet) so I'm sure I'll mess up lots and hopefully it will be a good learning experience. I'm not 100% on the colors I'm going to use yet. I'll most likely spray some colors and see how they look first (I'm thinking light vermilion armor, dark bronze highlights, and a metallic black frame).

I've just straight built it with a loose fitting so that I can disassemble it later. All the nubs are filed and sanded down. It's nothing special to look at right now, but I thought I should have a set of 'before' photos to compare it to when it's all finished, so here's a 360:


With rifle and shield:


This thing is definitely huge. Head height is a little above Sinanju (although shorter when measured against Sinanju's thrusters), and a lot above all the rest. As always, RX-78-2 size comparison:


Looking forward to messing with the airbrush. The hand parts and some of the cable pieces are polycap material (there's also some visible polycaps on the back fuel tanks) and I'm not sure how those will react to paint. I'm not sure if I should prime all the pieces first. I'll be using Tamiya acrylic paints as the main coat, so maybe I should... I don't know, these be uncharted waters.

18 comments:

  1. I've never had a polycap go bad due to being painted and I can say for certain that you'll be safe to paint the hands without primer since I never had any issues with mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks lupes, that's good to hear! Your Sazabi page is a good reference, it's helpful to see another painted kit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your girlfriend is awesome. Giving you gunpla, not many women does that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha, I know! I'm sure she'll be happy to read that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Envy-ing... >.<
    Anyway, looking forward for your Sazabi... or maybe you should try air brush on other thing first before go to this straight?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, yeah that might have beeen a good idea... But I've already started to paint the inner frame! No looking back now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good lord.. I'm loving the shots you have here :O

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks man, glad you like them! I'm glad my backdrop was large enough for Sazabi haha

    ReplyDelete
  9. awesome. sowhat are your plans? custom paint job? any specific colour?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, that's the plan. As soon as I get motivated to begin airbrushing, that is...

    Haven't decided yet, but probably vermilion and white for the armor

    ReplyDelete
  11. gorgeus gundam,, can't wait till the sazabi is done

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks! Yeah, I really need to get crackin' on this project!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love red gundams... i liked your sinanju a lot and when you're done with this, I will again be impressed... hehe...

    by the way adding you to my blogroll... just made a blog recently... Im new with gunpla, and having fun... I think you guys are really good with gunpla...

    > www.larsmm3.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, and welcome to the blogging world! I'll be sure to add you too. Don't follow my lead and disappear for months at a time though. I'll finish it I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, I came across your site and wasn’t able to get an email address to contact you. Would you please consider adding a link to my website on your page. Please email me back and we'll talk about it.

    Thanks!

    Joel Houston
    JHouston791@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks! Just emailed you.

    Also, for reference, my email is on the right bar up there (shinpla.blog@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  17. where'd you goooooo?!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'll be back one day... One day...

    Sold all my unopened kits and I'm planning on going back and redoing my old ones with custom paint and such. Not sure when though...

    ReplyDelete